Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas in Connecticut (1945): Christmas and Stanwyck, These Are A Few of My Favorite Things



Unlike Remember the Night (1940), the Christmas flick starring Barbara Stanwyck, which is relatively unknown to the masses, Christmas in Connecticut is a Yuletide offering with Stanwyck that gains more of a following with each passing year. The highly successful actress, professional to a fault and proficient in both heavy drama and screwball comedy, created in this film, a character whose stylish sense of humor has charmed classic film lovers for over 60 years. In fact, the film itself has every bit of style and panache today ~ if not more so ~ as it did in 1945, when it was released by Warner Brothers. Even the department store delivery girl is chic and modern when she ushers in Stanwyck's swanky mink coat.


A Christmas Eve staple for decades, Christmas in Connecticut features Babs as Elizabeth Lane, author of a wildly popular homemaking column in the fictional magazine Smart Housekeeping. However, as it turns out, the Martha Stewart of her day is a complete fake and hasn't a domestic bone in her cosmopolitan body, and when her publisher asks her to play hostess to a young attractive war hero for Christmas, all heck breaks loose. The cast of characters, which is perfect to a fault, rings in the holiday with complete hilarious abandon, making each successive viewing more familiar and more smile inducing.




Barbara is joined in the merriment by Dennis Morgan as Jefferson Jones, the sailor, whose obvious charms entice both a Navy hospital nurse (Joyce Compton) and our magazine darling. But he's not alone, the cast is bulging at the seams with delightful talent including the rotund Sidney Greenstreet as Stanwyck's abominable boss Alexander Yardley, who huffs and puffs his way from Long Island to Connecticut, eating anything he can get his hands on along the way. And speaking of jolly fat men (no, HE'S not in this movie), this film offers double duty with S.Z. "Cuddles" Sakall joining Greenstreet in a corpulent clique. As Uncle Felix, the Hungarian Sakall's verbal massacre of the English language is matched only by his deadpan delivery of it. When he is informed of the definition of the word catastrophe, it leaves his mouth pronounced "cat'e stroph" ~ no final "e" ~ in the thickest Hungarian accent imaginable and used often at the most opportune times. Joyce Compton is a peach as Nurse Mary Lee, who orchestrates the whole fiasco in an attempt to nab a marriage proposal from "Jeffy Boy" (Morgan). Reginald Gardiner, Una O'Connor and Frank Jenks round out the top notch ensemble.


So much of the dialogue in Christmas in Connecticut is devoted to food. Stanwyck, the "fabulous cook" who can't even boil water basically depends on Uncle Felix, a fabulous restaurateur, for sustenance. The portly gourmet delivers to her door a "yummy mushroom omelette" after her own attempts at breakfast yield a tin of sardines! It is from Felix that she obtains the copy for her magazine cavalcade of culinary delights. " I took crisp lettuce, romaine, and crinkly endive from my own garden for my husband's favorite salad. For this I made a rich, creamy blue cheese dressing. Then to prepare roast duck his favorite way, I rub salt and pepper on the inside, then brown the duck in its own fat..." The gastronomic references continue with Mr. Yardley's refusal to partake in his doctor's recommended Christmas menu: mashed prune whip and creamed turnip fluff. I'd pass too. But the epicurean descriptions add a festive holiday element displayed throughout the movie, an element enhanced by several snowy horse drawn sleigh rides ( jingle bells included). Stanwyck, Morgan and the rest of the crew combine to make Christmas in Connecticut a light and fluffy holiday confection, which if missed would be "cat' e stroph."

13 comments:

  1. Very good write up, Rupert. I have to admit, for all its reputation as a Christmas classic, I have never seen this film. Maybe it's because of a "humbug" mood I was in for many years when it came to Christmas movies. But that mood seems to have passed, so I will now definitely check this one out. Thanks, Rupert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas a humbug? Why THAT'S a humbug! You check it out friend and let me know what you think. Comes on tomorrow evening....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this one last Sunday on TCM! What fun! And I agree about the delivery girls uniform!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stumbled upon this movie years ago and recently added it to my holiday movie library. I am now introducing my daughter to the "clssics" and she loves the scene with the baby mix-up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Memories memories memories! This is still my very favorite non-animated Christmas movie of all time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review of a terrific film! I came across this movie several years ago and have watched it every Christmas ever since. My favorite line is from Una O'Connor: "I never flipped in me life, and I'm not gonna start flippin' now for nobody" :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christmas In Connecticut" is one of my favorite Christmas movies. It has just right combination of humour, beautiful settings,and wonderful performers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm probably in a minority here, but I actually didn't care that much for this one (although I'll probably watch it again in the near future). I found it lacking something in the second half and the leading man was a bit uninspired.

    However, I did love "Remember the night".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sadly, Christmas in Connecticut is one of those films I haven't seen too often. It hasn't been shown over and over as It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street. And sadly, I don't own it on DVD or VHS. I am definitely hoping I can catch it this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I'm so glad you wrote it because I added this film to the top of my Netflix queue and now I can't wait to see it! I've never seen it before and I'm very excited to finally do so.

    flyingdowntohollywood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great !! I love this movie : ) I love HER !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, a must see!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I own it! It's my favorite. Too bad no one ever sent me Dennis Morgan for Xmas.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails